A MAN who knifed a father-of-four through the heart after he complained about a noisy party is facing a life sentence.

Adam Lundy, 28, was yesterday convicted of murdering John Kiltie, 44, outside a house in Girvan, South Ayrshire, on May 28, 2016.

Bus driver Mr Kiltie, who was stabbed four times, collapsed and died in his mother Georgina Kiltie’s arms after saying: “Help me, mum.”

It was the second time Lundy has stood trial for Mr Kiltie’s murder. He was convicted in December 2016, given a life sentence and ordered to serve at least 19 years in prison.

But the conviction was quashed by the appeal court and a re-trial was ordered.

Yesterday, at the High Court in Glasgow, judge Lady Stacey told Lundy: “There is only one sentence, life imprisonment, but I have to determine the punishment part.”

She deferred sentence until next month on Lundy, who is in custody.

Prosecutor Iain McSporran read out parts of impact statements provided by Mr Kiltie’s family for the judge to consider.

He said: “Mr Kiltie’s father John senior said his son’s murder ‘destroyed everyone in the family’ and added: “There is no joy in my life.’ He said he is sad that his son’s youngest child will never know his father. He says his son was a good father and that his family meant the world to him and he to them.”

The court was told Mr Kiltie’s mother is “broken-hearted and unable to cope” and describes herself as ‘a broken woman.’

Mr Kiltie’s partner Sharon Tweedie said in a letter to the judge: “He was my best friend and partner for 23 years who was always there for me and the children. I don’t think the pain will ever go away.”

The court heard Mr Kiltie was targeted after phoning the police about a noisy party in Park Road, Girvan.

He had lived in the street with his partner, 39-year-old Sharon Tweedie, for 20 years.

The couple were concerned there was a four-year-old child in the party flat and called the police, who left after finding no child in the property.A woman who lived at the house then began shouting and swearing at Mr Kiltie and accused him of being a “police grass”.

She also shouted “go and and do him in”.

Minutes later Mr Kiltie was stabbed in the rear garden of the house.

Lundy claimed that Mr Kiltie came swinging at him with a baseball bat and he stabbed him in self defence, but the jury did not believe him.

In evidence, Lundy revealed that before going out into the garden he put a kitchen knife down the back of his trousers.

Mr McSporran asked: Why did you take a knife from the kitchen,” and Lundy replied: “I just panicked. It was the worst thing I’ve even done. I just wanted to scare him.”

At the time of the murder, Lundy was out on bail for possession of a knife and carrying out racially aggravated assaults on two people. He has previous convictions for violence and carrying a knife.

He showed no emotion as he was led away to the cells.