Dumbarton’s rain-soaked ‘Your Radio 103FM’ Stadium may not seem the sort of place where Champions League dreams are born, but Celtic’s under-19s showed that there is plenty of hope for the future in a thrilling contest there against PSG in the UEFA Youth League.

Tommy McIntyre can be rightly proud of the performance from his young squad as they went down narrowly by the odd goal in five having led twice on the evening.

They dominated the match for the most part, and there is no doubt that a few valuable lessons will have been learnt in being more ruthless at both ends against this level of opposition.

Loading article content

Celtic started positively and deservedly hit the front after 13 minutes, even if the way their goal came about was a touch fortuitous.

PSG defender Moussa Sissako looked to have taken the ball as he tackled Jack Aitchison in the area, but after a spot of deliberation with his assistant, Austrian referee Alexander Harkam pointed to the spot.

Hoops captain Regan Hendry stepped up to confidently slam the ball home, sending keeper Sebastien Cibois the wrong way.

It could have been two moments later as Calvin Miller drove forward from left back and drilled the ball across the six-yard area, but the sliding Aitchison was inches away from providing the vital contact.

Celtic continued to have the better of proceedings, but PSG slowly felt their way into the game to apply some pressure as the half wore on.

They almost pulled level when Moussa Diaby broke in behind Wallace Duffy on the Celtic right and crossed for striker Meterhan Guclu, but his backheel effort was read well by Ryan Mullen in the Celtic goal.

The young Celts failed to heed the warning, and eight minutes before the break the French side were level.

Right-back Alec Georgen got to the Celtic byline before clipping a ball in for Guclu to attack, and this time the forward made no mistake as he buried a header in off Mullen’s right-hand post.

Celtic started the second half as they had the first, with Aitchison spinning in behind before teeing up Hendry for a shot that was well-saved by Cibois following a deflection.

They didn’t have to wait too long for their second goal though, and what a goal it was.

A fine passing move say Ewan Henderson, brother of Celtic midfielder Liam, pick up the ball on the edge of the area, and he slipped a wonderful through ball into Aitchison’s path.

The striker looked up before getting the goal his all-round play had deserved by firing low under Cibois.

Things could have got better for Celtic soon after as Stanley Nsoki fouled Aitchison in the area to give the Hoops their second penalty of the night, but this time Hendry’s effort was saved by Cibois before Henderson crashed the rebound off the outside of the post.

That was to prove costly as Celtic centre-back Robbie Deas then misjudged a high punt up the park, allowing substitute Virgiliu Postolach to latch onto the ball in behind and fire home to draw PSG level.

Aitchison then came close again as he drove a cross onto a PSG defender and then up off the crossbar, only for PSG raced to the other end to take the lead for the first time.

Georgen was again the provider, swinging in a cross that Timothy Weah, son of AC Milan legend George, rose to head powerfully into the bottom corner.

"Some of our play was excellent," said Celtic coach McIntyre. "We controlled the game in the first half and we scored a fantastic second goal.

"We were naïve in losing the second goal and the penalty miss could have made a difference. But we hung in there, played our game and created chances."

A valiant effort by the young Celts, but no cigare.